Sunday, October 10, 2010

Paper and Pen of the Modern World

In my last post, I talked about the progression of traditional paper books into revolutionary digital eBooks. Since the media through which we view ideas are changing, it stands to reason that the media through which we create ideas would change as well.

Today, let’s focus on the paper and pencil. These have been our staple mediums for inscribing messages and relaying information to one another for centuries throughout the world. For many years, we never believed we could really improve on these tools, but then came pens, markers, crayons, etc. 
However, they were all still pretty basic tools.

Let me introduce you to the paper and pencil of the modern world.  
This is a digital tablet. It comes with a stylus pen to write/draw with and the tip of the pen has pressure sensitivity so if you push down harder, the lines are thicker and darker. 

I originally bought this tablet for digital drawings on Photoshop, but have come to use it as my mouse too. It connects to my laptop through a USB cable and is very ergonomic in design.
Drawing have become much easier and writing handwritten notes in programs such as OneNote is a breeze. Not to mention, with all that paper I save, digital media is very eco-friendly.

Here is an example of a simple eye I drew with the tablet.


1 comment:

  1. We are transforming into a paperless world. Although printing on paper seems genuine and professional, the economical benefits and convenience of technology outweighs physical paper. I did not realize that such an accurate drawing could be done on a device such as this one, but now I am aware of the potential that technology brings us. This medium is a step in a direction that may change our lives into making physical paper become extint.

    ReplyDelete