Sunday, September 19, 2010

Capture the Moments

My mom bought me my first camera during the summer of 2005. I was 15 years old and it was a week before our family trip to China to visit my grandparents who we hadn’t seen for over half a decade.  She did not want to limit the amount of photographs we took by the amount of film she brought with her so we decided on a digital camera.
During our month-long stay in our hometown of Wenzhou, I made sure to take as many photographs as I could not only because I was fascinated by everything around me, but also because I wanted to remember the past and preserve the present. Although I was 8 years old when I came to America, most of my memories of my native home quickly faded as I learned the culture and language of America. Many of these memories slowly came back as I traversed around my old neighborhood and explored the places I use to love. For person I met and every place I went, I took a photo. Pieces came together as I “retraced my steps” and rediscovered hidden stories. Photography was my way of making sure that these memories would never fade again because they were a large part of the person I am today.

A rice field.

In addition, it ensured that those memories not only existed in my head, but also in an external form that I could share with others. It helps me describe my home to those who have not been there and allows me to reminisce about my “other home.” I find that every time I look at photographs (which I admit, is quite often), I find something new I didn’t realize was there before.
           Artists use cameras to capture emotions, parents use them to preserve memories, and journalists use them to capture events. Anyone and everyone who uses a camera is documenting time; I just happened to be documenting the past as well as the present.

"Modern" rickshaws.

Family Home.

Huge grasshopper.

Urban meets rural.

8 comments:

  1. Cathy! This was a great post and your pictures are awesome! I really enjoyed reading your post for a few reasons. First, I wrote about almost the exact same thing. It was very interesting to see how similarly we thought about our medium but how differently we wrote about it.

    Both of us seem to have great memories that we enjoy having pictures of which is great. I love pictures and you seem to have a lot of talent for the visual arts.

    Awesome post and I look forward to reading more from you to see how we think similarly and differently about the media artifacts in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your blog was amazing. It made me realize how much importance I place on my own pictures as they are the only visual connection I have to a lot of my past. I always love looking at pictures from years ago and find myself wishing I could jump into them as I do.
    I like the pictures you posted. I've never been anywhere similar to China. Looking at your photos allowed me to realize that you've truly have a unique experience. I like also that regardless of how many pictures you take, which are from your own perspective, other people can look at them and study them, but will never come close to capturing the same experience and sensations you have. Photos can bring people together, while at the same time capturing the uniqueness of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I got to say that it was very interesting reading about this blog post. Not only did the picture really help enhance the picture you were describing but it brought back a lot of memories for myself. After reading your blog post, I thought back to the time when my mom (who is local Taiwanese) decided to take me South to her hometown in Hualian. Even though I hated it at the time since it was such an outdated region, now that I think about it, I really miss it. And ever since I moved away from Taiwan, I have never gotten a chance to really stop and seek the beauty of Taiwan. Sometimes taking pictures and holding them as memories are the best way to go. Thanks for the post Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey this is a great blog that portrays media in a positive light. Much of our class discussions have been fairly depressing, depicting media negatively as an addiction that has taken over society. Through your pictures and memories I feel like this is a breathe of fresh air. I understand the importance of certain media and how powerful something such a picture can be. Last semester I studied abroad and whenever I look at those pictures I relive so many memories. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful photographs. Media is reality and I think it is great when people create their own media to relate to their pasts. Especially with photography, many times when one photograph is interpreted in the past, it has a different meaning in the future. Media is a way to connect to the world whether it is in the past or the present. I loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy,

    I completely agree that photographs serve as a medium for society. However, does every picture serve as a medium for the world? For example, is a picture of a pillow truly serve as a medium for society? Does it serve the same purpose as a picture of Gandhi?

    I completely agree that photographs serve as connectors to our past, document our present, and change our future. In essence, they're catalysts for change in society. I also agree with your point about parents using their cameras to capture their children's lives. I know my mom photographed my ENTIRE childhood, and it's really nice to see the parts I don't remember (when I was a baby, toddler years, etc.).

    I can't wait to see the other pictures from your trip!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a popular blog! I could see why. I also love your pictures. The connections between photograph, memory, and time are nicely made and fairly convincing.

    In a photography class, however, I heard an exactly opposite point from the common conception of photos preserving memories--that photos sometimes ERASES our memories (of sounds, smell, touch, physical experiences, etc) by supplanting them with one single sense--the visual.

    So, remember: when photos preserve some parts of our memories, they also exclude, erase and replace a large part of them.

    d.

    ReplyDelete